Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bus Training and Other Ramblings

I'm just finishing up my much needed second cup of coffee and a snack. We had bus driver training this morning - SWAT team training. Basically we ran through what might possibly happen if we ever had a bus h*j*cked and how the team would come in and begin to sort things out. There are so many possible variables in such a situation that it's pretty much impossible to plan for every possibility. However I think most of us drivers came away with a much better idea of what to expect in such a situation - and we managed to have a lot of fun doing it. Picture - if you can - a conventional yellow school bus filled with 20 - 30 laughing, talking, carrying-on middle-aged adults crammed into seats intended to hold small children - Suddenly there's a very loud noise outside the bus and a team of uniformed "armed" men come busting onto the bus shouting orders. That was enough of an adrenaline charge for me - I hope and pray I never have to experience something like that in real life with children under my care - with a real "bad guy". But it was good training - and far more interesting than some we've sat through.

The sun is mostly shining outside - it's a crisp cool fall morning - leaves are falling everywhere. I am thankful to be able to take things a bit easy this morning - I need to run to B's work to pick up some paperwork but think I'm going to put that off until after school. Instead I'm going to get the kitchen cleaned and hopefully some packing and baking done.

Thankfully I've found my disk for my card-reader so that soon I can download pictures again. I'm excited about that as downloading from the memory card is so much easier for me then taking it to the camera store to have them put the pictures on a disk that I later have to download after all.

Not getting my flu shot this week- between the current treatment for poison ivy and the cold I've been fighting I will be waiting about 10 days. I'm kind of glad because I didn't want to add that on top of everything else.

Enough rambling for now - coffee is finished - it's time to get some work done.

3 comments:

Linds said...

I hope you never have to use that training, Edith - but at least you know what to do if it ever becomes necessary. Great you have found the reader! Now - remember that WEDDING that happened a while back?????????????????

Mary said...

Under strict instructions from Linds to take every opportunity made available to remind you to post you wedding photos ;)

I guess having to have training in hostage or terrorist situations on a school bus run really hit home the volatile world we now live in. Do take care now.

I can actually picture the woman crammed on the bus. I know , as a teacher, when ever we have to pretend to be students to simulate a situation , we are really naughty children.

Have a great weekend

Vickie said...

Edith,
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and leaving your comment. I appreciate it very much. Don't get discouraged. It takes time and I have found that while it is very rewarding....it is hard to change ones mindset and the challenges are never ending. With God's help you can do it!
Blessings,
vickie@pursuingsimplicity