Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chickens & Musicals

9' this morning! Down from low 50's on Sunday! We have just a light dusting of snow on the ground and it's very windy though definitely less so than overnight.

On the agenda for today: blog, laundry - wash, dry and fold, dishes, work on a project for B - it has a deadline, figure out how to get some exercise...I am sure there is more but that's all I can think of at the moment. Last night I was out fairly late at B's working on a different project than the one I'm doing here at home. Sunday night I did a evening run to Graybil. Two late nights adds up.

We have chickens now - brought them home Saturday evening. We've had 4-5 eggs a day since. It's exciting for me. I just have to figure out how to get them to use their roosts rather than the nest boxes. I also still need to get cracked corn to supplement their feed and to encourage them to scratch more. Squirrel is excited to gather the eggs as well - I have hopes that this will encourage him to try eating them. Come this spring I will be getting 20 more as chicks. Some will be the Amerecanas that lay colored eggs.

On a different note - Stretch got the part of Mr. Bahr in the musical Little Women that the high school is putting on this spring. It's the part that he kind of wanted during try-outs. I'm thrilled for him though I know it will be an incredible amount of work. He is planning on continuing his running as much as possible in between practices.

2 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

Every time I come over here I ask myself, where on earth does she live, then I see - the midwest - no wonder you get all the snow, just enough to be irritating. We hear the news say almost nightly, 'dusting to an inch' which is just enough to make the roads a mess, the driveway needs another bucket of rock salt. Will spring ever come?

Rebeca said...

Oooh, chickens, what fun! We have four in our city lot, which is about the limit I think. But enough still to give us plenty of eggs and entertainment too!